Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Results...

Well this is the moment you've all been waiting for!
OK maybe I exaggerate just a bit...
a few of you were interested in the results of my linen-dyeing experiment. 

A great number of you commented on the wonderful aroma this must have created. 
I've gotta be honest with you.
Maybe my sniffer is off.
I really didn't smell much of anything aside from the coffee. 

I squeezed out the excess concoction from the two pieces of linen 
and laid them on a foil lined oven rack.  I don't have a baking sheet big enough for them
so I though that would do the trick. 


I left the cinnamon sticks on them as well as some loose tea from one of the teabags I ripped open.
I set the oven to 200Âș and watched them carefully for about 15 minutes.  
They weren't completely dry when I took them out 
but I was running out of bravery. 

Here is what they looked like as I left them last night.....


I laid them out on a big piece of freezer paper on my counter overnight. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I got up this morning I saw that I wasn't completely satisfied with the level of 
"grunge" in them so I broke out my little bag of walnut crystals.  
I added a heaping teaspoon to one cup of boiling water and just sorta
rubbed the back of a wet spoon over it in a few places. There are a couple spots where
I put a little more. 


The picture above was taken without the flash.  
I think the others were taken with the flash last night.  
As you can see I have a designated el-cheapo iron for this purpose only. 
We won't talk about the time I grabbed the wrong one to iron 
Masterchief's shirt. 

:o(


So what do I have planned for these two 28" long pieces of linen you ask?
I want to sit right down in my stitching chair and start at the top left corner with
the alphabet, or a border, or whatever my little heart desires at the time. 

What got me on this kick you ask?
My goodness you all are just full of questions!
I realized that most of the framed and soon to be framed pieces are of the usual
size and my eye has been drawn to the long, narrow look of a primitive sampler lately.

I have no pressures of a schedule or deadline to meet 
so I have no clue when this will be finished.

So there you have it!

The advice I will give is just get in there and DO IT!  
Don't be afraid that it won't look "right".  There is no set way to do it.
Throw your fear and OCD issues to the wind and 
let 'er fly!!

Thanks for your interest in this little adventure and thank you for all the comments you have left. 
I love reading them!  
Oh yes I do.

~~Peggy Lee  


22 comments:

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Great results! Look forward to seeing your new sampler :-)

Parsley said...

I love it! I've just steeped my fabric in tea water. Now I will get bold and try more!

Vicki said...

I'm impressed! Your fabric looks terrific and is unique. Can't wait to see what you dye next...

Natasha said...

I love how the fabric turned out! Great job, I can't wait to see whta you are going to do with it :)
Have a great day!

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

Love the look of these pieces of linen. Way to go and Cheers to your creativity.
As always

Faye said...

Your bravery is beyond emmense!!!! I absolutely love it!!! In fact, I don't which I like more.... The fact that you took on the concoctions and won.... Or the fact that now that its done, you're going to stitch a pressure less sampler on the fly!!!!! As we say in first grade, double thumbs up!!! ( no, I'm not at school today, blog posting on school time..., home with a bum knee :( Great job!!!!

cucki said...

Wow looking so beautiful...i love it so much...
Love x

Sweet Sue said...

Looks great, nice and prim. Have fun choosing something to go with it:)

Jodi S said...

Love how the fabric turned out and sorry for all of the questions...:)

marly said...

That a girl! Forget the rules and go with what you like and have fun with. Can't wait to watch.

Robin said...

Your sampler idea sounds great. Especially since stitching borders is the pits....here you and stitch a motif til you are tired and want to change it up. Will be anxious to see your progress. You may start a movement and others will join in.

rosek1870 said...

Just love the color you got. Beautiful. Next time I am going to try to dye my own instead of buying!

Nicola said...

I love long thin samplers, they fill those difficult spaces on your walls and are great to stitch as seem to grow very quickly.

Colorado Stitcher said...

Aren't you glad you were so brave and tried this? Looks very nice.

Cath said...

Looking good . Can't wait to see your stitching .x

Chris said...

It looks really lovely! I can't wait to see what you stitch on it.

dixiesamplar said...

You did it!! Congrats...and they turned out beautifully too.

Shirlee said...

Congratulations! I will drop off a batch of linen for grunging later today : )

Catherine said...

Looks great! One thing I do to grunge up that fabric more is to rub some of the coffee grounds into the fabric before I put in the oven to bake.
Can't wait t see what you come up with for your sampler!!

Suzanne said...

Your fabric looks amazing! You did such a great job of the staining and it does have that lovely prim look.

Ranae said...

Ohhhh!!
To turned out prim beautiful
Great job!!!
Fun isn't it?????