Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Still Playing Catch-Up

Hi there friends!

How was your holiday weekend?  Mine was nice.  We go to a short Memorial Day service at the Mill Springs National Cemetery that's about five minutes away from our house.  This was the third year that we've attended and we wouldn't feel right if we weren't there.  It touches our hearts to see the now elderly retired servicemen there and now we are seeing younger folks who may have a family member who has passed away recently while defending our country.  Masterchief and I will both end up there one day.  I count it as a great honor to have a national cemetery be my final resting place.  I'm in no hurry to get there, mind you!

I am still playing catch-up with all the blogs on my list.  I know I will never get to them all but I am trying to read and comment on a few between unpacking and readjusting to actually having more than one room to live in.  I know I must say this every time I get home after an outage but we truly appreciate what we have after not having it for about two months!

In the evenings I try to put a few stitches in The Child's Guardian.  I am almost done. I have put my name and date at the bottom and am now putting those five little blue stitches in each of the spaces in the woven border.  I started in the upper right corner, so let's see....75 little blue stitches complete.....410 little blue stitches to go!

  **head spinning**

 That makes it sound like so many.




It's hard to get a good picture of it.  It measures almost a perfect square from stitch to stitch, 13 1/4" x 13 1/2".   I'm pretty sure this is 30 count although I can't seem to find where I wrote the info on this one down.  I've been working on it off and on since December.  I think it's about time I get it done!

Oh that reminds me.....can anyone tell me if DMC threads are colorfast or not?  I feel I should know the answer to this one but I don't mind admitting that my brain is functioning at a minimum at the moment.
 OK...so it's been more than a moment.    :^(

I ran across a recipe on Pinterest the other day I thought I'd try.


It's strawberry upside down cake and ohhhh it's soooo gooood!

I must go work on those little blue stitches now.  Thanks so much for remaining loyal followers and dear friends even when I must take some time away from blogging.  Stitchy friends are AWESOME!!

Until next time...

~~Peggy Lee


17 comments:

Nan said...

Hi Peggy! Youre piece is beautiful. I believe DMC claims to be colorfast. I've never had any trouble with color bleeding when using DMC. Glad you had an enjoyable holiday. The memorials surrounding service holidays are always humbling.

Parsley said...

Hey Peg. What a lovely stitch you've created. Truly beautiful. And..oh my that dessert looks YUMMMMY!

Rosie sends her Auntie Peg a 'woof and wag'. Those treats helped bring her out of a low spot and now she's acting hungry all the time. (eating hamburger or chicken twice daily)

P.J. said...

Glad you are home, safe and sound. Great progress on the Guardian. That strawberry upside down cake looks scrumptious! DMC is colorfast and I have never had a problem, washed and steam ironed.

Been thinking of you and your return, when do you have your surgery?

marly said...

Your sampler looks wonderful but that CAKE!! Holy crap. I'll be dreaming about it tonight.

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Welcome back, Peg! Your stitching looks really nice. You can do it, you can do it (said in my best cheerleader voice)!! OMG, that cake looks so yummy! The strawberries this year are like candy.

Barb said...

the Child's Guardian is so pretty!! And the cake WOW!

Deborah said...

Your piece is beautiful! They say DMC is colorfast but I have had bleeding with reds and dark blue. Hope this helps.

Thoeria said...

Love the "Gaurdian" piece. And that cake....oh my....oh my...it looks DIVINE!

Cath said...

Lovely stitching, glad you're settling in back at home .
Yes, DMC is colourfast ,lol. XXX

Chris said...

It is so hard to catch up from being away that long. I have only done it once for 2 months and Rich was still home but it still is really hard.
You are so close to a finish. It looks wonderful.
That cake looks amazing :)

StitchinByTheLake said...

I've only ever had a problem with DMC one time - a long time ago with red. I believe that the new dying methods have taken care of that issue but I would still be very careful with dark colors! blessings, marlene

Vickie said...

Your sampler and cake look great. :)

Gettysburg Homestead said...

Beautiful!!!! I have never had an issue with DMC. I HAVE had issues with thread that use to come in kits a few years back.

Mary

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Your WIP is so pretty! I think DMC says they're colorfast, but I know the reds sometimes 'spread' over. I've often thought upside down cake could be with other fruits! Your sample looks divine!

Jenny said...

What a beautiful sampler, Peggy Lee! I love the browns and blue against the dark gold linen - great color picks!

The cake looks yummilishious!

Catherine said...

Hey there! Your sampler is looking great! I bet you'll be glad when all those little fill ins are done.
I know years ago you had to be careful with the reds and some of the other darker colors of DMC, but I haven't heard of anyone having any problems recently.
Wowzers, that cake looks yummy!!
Hope you are all settled back in now at home. I'm sure your own bed feels wonderful.

Kaisievic said...

The Child's guardian is gorgeous - who is the designer? I love the look of the yummy cake, too.