Friday, February 10, 2012

Do You Trust Your Gut?

Hey there friends.  Thanks to all of you who commented on my last post about my Eliza finish and the MBT start.  I don't know about you but it makes me smile on the inside AND the outside when I read comments like that.  It's like you all are my very own little cheer leading squad!


Seriously, it warms my heart and I want you to know I appreciate that.

Now...here is my latest dilemma.  In my younger years as a stitcher I never wavered from what a pattern called for, being linen, threads or anything else.  I am slowly learning (and being coached by a very dear bloggy friend) that I really can do that!  I am learning to trust that gut feeling I get when I look at a pattern and think, hey that would look nice if I did it on a different sort of linen or a different color thread.  I most recently came across this feeling when I received the linen for Great Is Thy Faithfulness by My Big Toe Designs.  The picture on the front of the chart shows two different versions and I wanted to stitch it in the monochromatic version it showed.  I ordered the exact linen that was recommended but when I received it, it looked very green.  I posted a picture of it in my last blog post.  The more I stitched on it the more it wasn't growing on me.  So this brings me to today........





I have started stitching it on a piece of R&R 28 ct. dark cappuccino, over one.  It's not as hard as I thought it was going to be...stitching it over one, I mean.  I'm using only two colors: Examplar Black Iris Bud 'N Bloom and Mermaid Blue.  I love this silk floss.  Do you know if it's sold any more?  I haven't seen it in shops in a long time.
I am really enjoying stitching it this way!  I'll keep you posted.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I picked these two frames up at a Michael's just up the road from the hotel.  I'm not crazy about what is in them although it is cute, I really want to use them to frame something stitchy.  They are really a cute size. 



I also got these buttons...



Thanks for visiting today.  I really appreciate your comments and encouraging words.
I think I am going to visit a different cross stitch shop in Marietta, GA tomorrow.  I am so excited!

Have a great weekend....
~~Peggy Lee

17 comments:

Shirlee said...

Peggy Lee ... I wish I was there shopping with you : ) I returned to the cross stitching world bringing my prior beliefs with me ... that you HAVE to use what the designer calls for, both linen & threads. After all, who am I to question the wisdom of a designer? Slowly I have been feeling like "hmmmm, this color is a bit too bright for me," or "hmmmm ... I think this would look nicer on a darker shade of linen." How liberating ... lol! Blessings, Shirlee

natalyK said...

I love the colors you chose. They are beautiful. It looks so delicate stitched over one. The frames you got are cute and you can use them until you stitch something up to put inside them :) Happy Stitching!

LoriU said...

Oohh I love those threads on the dark cappucino fabric! Looks great, and your over one stitching if perfect!

Vickie Niggemann said...

Looking good! You are making the most of the hotel life aren't you? :)

Sweet Sue said...

Very pretty! HDF silks are sold via website and onsite. Vikki's bricks/mortar location is really a factory (not a shop) quite a drive from Harrisburg, PA. I'm told she welcomes onsite customers, but best to call first, plus she travels doing shows. I've seen pics of her display area, you'll swoon:)

hand-dyedfibers.com

Teresa said...

Love the frames and buttons.
It was hard for me to change a pattern. I attend a retreat and the door on one house was bright orange and I just couldn't do it. I was so surprised when the teacher said change it that it is ok to make the pattern your own sometimes.
Teresa's Heartfelt Stitches

valerie said...

You have to be sure to really like what you're stitching! I like the new color combo! Sue is right about the HDF silks. They are readily available online and there's a whole forum there to have fun with!

cucki said...

aww i love the frames and buttons so much..super sweet..
i love the colors you choose..they looking so sweet on the fabric..
have a lovely weekend xxx

marly said...

I guess I'm a rebel because I never used what was recommended except for the unbleached Scarlet Letter kits. I really like the color of the linen you're using now. And I'm jealous of your stitching shop adventures!

Terri said...

I almost always change *something* on each of my projects. And I love your choices for this one, it's beautiful! I love My Big Toe designs.

Cute frames and buttons, too! :-)

Mouse said...

heheh I should have been with you.... you know me and my colours and changing stuff ....comes from designing and making clothes from an early age I think ;)
love what you have chosen second time round and the over one is lovely too .... cute buttons you got..
ooooo enjoy your new shop and let us know what you get :) love mouse xxxx

Barb said...

I do like your choices! I know exactly what you mean. I often change the choices of the designer. Just recently, I took a color out of a vase on a reproduction sampler. I felt a bit guilty because of the reproduction element. But every time I opened the sampler to work, I hated the vase. Finally I said, "Sorry Rebecca Robinson but this pink color in the vase has to go!"

Carol said...

Hey, I just bought the very same buttons at Joann Fabrics last week--don't you love them!!

I really like your color choices, Peggy, and over one the piece is really going to be striking. I used to always "play by the rules" and use the exact colors, too, but now I just use what I like :)

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

now that the bugs gone I'm back and I love the choices you made. In all honesty, I bet I have only ever left the colour pallet alone on the HAED's in my life, the rest are all fair game and with so many choices and no two people having the exact same taste. You go girl. And I just love the Quaker Sampler.
Be always in stitches.

Catherine said...

Whoo-hoo! You are going outside the box! Love the new version and over one too - what's gotten in to you? Seriously, it looks great! Great little frames too - can't wait to see what you come up with to put in those.
Have fun at the shop!

Chris said...

Beautiful start. I think that your gut is right. After for stitching for so many years I think that you know how to convert a pattern to what you like.
Great stuff from Michaels :)

Jeanne said...

You go girl....the more you try out changes to patterns the more confidence you will build. I change whatever I want although I'm not very creative. Many times I'll see what someone else has done and think "why didn't I think of that??".

It's fun visiting new shops, I rarely get to do that. I thought of you yesterday as I was placing an order at 123 Stitch!!