Thursday, December 29, 2011

We did it! They're framed!

Masterchief and I drove to Tennessee the day after Christmas to see our friends in Franklin.  Remember back in August when we were in TN and I met Carmen and her husband Danny?  Carmen is so very gifted when it comes to all things stitchy.  She is so full of great ideas (and I am definitely NOT) and she is a gifted designer.   We toted four of my pieces with us for framing.  As you know, having our pieces framed is so very expensive to have them done professionally.  Carmen taught me how to do it myself so I can save my money for future stash enhancement more important household expenses.

Shortly after arriving at Carmen's house we headed straight to Hobby Lobby for our supplies...well after she fed us a delicious meal.  And to think she called it "leftovers".  If all my leftovers were that good there wouldn't be any left over!

My frames are ready
Carmen showed me the lacing method so we picked up some mat board. 

Carmen shows me how to measure and cut the board for each piece
She didn't warn me that my thumb would be so sore from all the pinning!  It didn't help that my right thumb was already ouchy because my hands are so dry.  

Bent Creek's Winter Row

La D Da's Praise God



Lacing the back of the La D Da piece

I needed a little help

Ok so I needed alot of help!  Carmen was so patient with me.  She is so good at this...even has taught classes on it.

I wasn't the only one receiving help....


I'm not real good with names, human or animal, so I can't tell you this sweet kitty's name but she was adorable!

Now I about lost it when I looked up at saw "kitty" licking Carmen's forehead! I think Danny must have smudged something yummy on there while she was sleeping.  She did this a couple times during our framing party.  Silly kitty!

The next morning I had to grab my camera for yet another kitty antic.   Remember folks,  I do not have any pets so I found all of this very amusing.
It seems that kitty won't drink from water that is still.  So her humans must run a thin stream every now and then.  Now who owns who?

I have a tendency to be slightly...well I don't know the word for it.  Masterchief says I'm not what he would call OCD but I can be "particular" on occasion.  So, when we were nearing the final placing of the stitched piece behind glass I became nervous.


I found a way to ease my mind.  I was so afraid of getting a cat hair stuck behind the glass.  This sticky roller did the trick.  She didn't fight it so she must have liked it.

Almost done...we cut the spacers, cut the pieces for the back of each frame and slapped them together with nary a cat hair in sight!


cutting the spacers

The two Red Border Study's and Winter Row
I could never thank Carmen enough for showing me how to do this.  She not only helped me frame these pieces but now I will be able to frame all of my future finishes.  I am forever indebted to her.  Carmen and Danny were so kind to have Masterchief and I as overnight guests and we really enjoyed our time spent with them, even though it was all too brief.  We look forward to having them both as our guests possibly this summer.  YAY!!

Here are the two Red Border Study's by Heron House Designs on the wall.  We thought this was the best place for them.

We have yet to hang the other pieces but when we do I'll be sure to take a pic for ya.

Carmen also helped me finished this little ornament I did on 50 count.

I held a ruler under it so you can see just how small this is.  It's only 2 inches wide.  Carmen stuffed it with lavender.  I have it hanging in the kitchen right now and every time I walk by I get a whiff of lavender.  Thank you Carmen!  Here is a link to her BLOG.

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this long post.  I wanted to post about all this yesterday but I have to be in the right frame of mind to sit down and do it and that doesn't happen very often.

I hope your Christmas was a very happy and memorable one.  I can honestly tell you I don't care if I eat or even see another cookie until next Christmas!

A very Happy New Year to all of you, dear friends.  Be well and be safe.....

~~Peggy Lee

22 comments:

Catherine said...

Well done!! Looks like you had a good time learning and your pieces look great! Love your clock too!

Sweet Sue said...

Ok, here's the plan, I'm leavin for the bus station in 20, what time do you put on your mornin coffee? You're gonna wanna teach me this, I just know it ~ LOL. Seriously, they're gorgeous, you're such a lucky stitcher to get a private lesson from Carmen. She sounds wonderful. Glad you had such a nice time. You're killin me with that lint roller rotflmao, but truth be known my DH would be right there with ya, with his lint roller, pickin the cat hair off your lint roller ~ omg somebody save me puhlease!!!

50 ct ~ sheesh.

xoxo

CalamityJr said...

You learned well, and Carmen is an exzcellent teacher! Your framing looks great!

April said...

You did great!! I love them all! Love the kitty pictures too!

Karen said...

Your framed finishes look great! Talented stitchy friends are definitely the best....

happy stitching in the new year...

P.J. said...

Beautiful job with your framing! I feel the same about cookies; until next Christmas!

Nancy said...

So nice of Carmen to give you framing lessons! You did a wonderful job with the framing! Your pieces look great!

Deborah said...

Great job! They all look fabulous! Have a wonderful New Year.

Gabi said...

Wonderful framing. Love it. They all look great.
Wishing you a Happy New Year

Kaisievic said...

Thanks for the interesting post and well done on learning a new skill.

Hugs, Kaye xoxox

http://kittenstitching.blogspot.com

Parsley said...

Oh my goodness! I sooooooo need to frame my pieces. I'm ashamed at my lack of ability. Thanks for this post. I will give it a try!

Love the kitty and your way with animals. I think you need to own a hairless cat. That would be a purrrfect fit for you. ;-)

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

wooo hoooo, you go girl...
There is something about doing the everything on a project by yourself, it is so very rewarding in the end and yes far less expensive. However, sometimes you go for a more expensive look,
ie: suede vs not suede. lol just say'n.
Congratulations on learning, you will always treasure your memories of these lessons that's for sure.
Happy New Year and
Be always in finishing,,,, woooops stitches.

LoriU said...

Great job on the framing! I need to learn how to do that too!

Jennifer said...

Framing lessons? WOW!!!!

I'm a self-taught framer and let me just say that I don't have much in the way of paitence when it comes to lacing/pinning. So, I usually pick up a few frames during a 60% off sale at Michael's or AC Moore and then I have a wonderful stitchy gal pal of mine frame them for me (for a small fee, of course).

Your pieces look wonderful! Cograts!

Mouse said...

ohhhh wow .. well done on the learning the framing ... and thanks for the photos ... need to do a few more ;) and cats love to drink fresh water running ;) and linting the cat is fab ..lol and wow 50 count ... good eyes there lass ..lol ... wishing you a wonderful stitchy new year and squeak to you soon :) love mouse xxxx

Charlene ♥ SC said...

What a wonderful, everlasting gift! All the finished pieces look fantastic. I've had kitties in my past who wouldn't drink standing water, too, but never did roll them with a lint roller lol.

valerie said...

Sounds like you had a fun visit and getaway. The framing turned out great! Happy New Year to you and MasterChief!

Myra said...

Oh, you had a great visit and your framing looks fabulous! Did you have the frames made at Hobby Lobby or did you put those together too?

Kate said...

Congrats on your beautiful framing.

Penny said...

Well worth the time and effort. Your framing is beautiful!
Love the cat pictures - I have been so tempted to use the lint roller a few times or maybe the vacuum cleaner. :D

Suzanne said...

Great job with the framing!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

Oh Peggy, looks like you had a great time and your framing turned out so nicely! What a great visit.