Wednesday, December 7, 2011

One down, two to go....

It was easier than I thought.  Those "free" boxes from the post office are the bomb!  They work perfect for magazine holders, or chart/pattern holders in this case.

I started out with with two boxes.  The one on top is medium flat rate and the bottom one is large flat rate.

They have peel off strips on each end that leaves exposed adhesive so they stay closed.  That's what you need to do first....close them up tight at each end.  The smaller box made one holder so I prefer the bigger one.  I got two out of it.

I used a ruler and marked where I would cut the box to get two out of it.



Here you can see where I only got one holder out of the medium flat rate box.....
Ok,  so back to the bigger box.....I used my craft knife to cut these....
Maybe I need a new knife....
So now I have two holders cut out.......



I wanted to cover them with something and I had just the thing....

I love toile of any color but I especially like it in blue and white.  I laid the cut out holder on the fabric and cut around it.  Then I used spray adhesive to stick it on and used double sided tape to hold the part on that folds over the edges.


 I lined it with pieces of scrap book paper I had from when I used to be in to that.
And there you have it!  I'll finish the other two tomorrow maybe.


This makes the third post in three days. I think that might set a record for me.
I hope this very amateur tutorial helps someone.  I just can't see paying what they want in the stores for these things.

Thanks for stopping by.

~~Peggy Lee

18 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Very clever!

Hugs, Kaye xoxox

P.J. said...

Nice frugal project. Very crafty.

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

Creativity at it's best!
Be always in creations.

Bekca said...

These look great! You're very creative Peggy Lee :) Best wishes.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Great job - and tutorial. I agree, the better to buy more stash!!

Cristina said...

It's very useful and looks great.

Carol said...

I love this idea, Peggy!! Your box is prettier than any you could buy in a store...

Lee said...

Terrific idea! Love the paper that you had handy!

dixiesamplar said...

Wow, now that's impressive!! Great tutorial too...

Erica said...

Great job!
Recycling at it's best!

Stitchin' Sweet Sue said...

Keep this up and you'll have to start a second blog for tutorials:) Love this, good for you! xoxo

Penny said...

What an interesting idea and the toile fabric is so pretty. :)
I thought that I had become a follower of your blog a while ago, but was mistaken ~ now I am. :)

Catherine said...

Wow! They turned out awesome!!

Natalia said...

Such a great idea !!! Thanks for sharing

Berit said...

Love the finishing fabrics you've used, but...ugh...I am no fan of cardboard! (Or plastic either!) Not that I don't have them in my home, but I try to reduce it all the time.

But, beautiful chart keeper!

Suzanne said...

Clever idea!

Natasha said...

What a clever idea!! I have two sitting here I think I may have to try this tonight :)

Jennifer said...

I'm still catching up on blogging....but what a great and clever idea!!!
Jennifer