Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Isn't that the cutest thing?

Today is my friend's /neighbor's birthday.  I went out on Sunday to shop for a gift (red scarf and gloves) and found this Wilton cake pan.


If you're using box cake mixes you have to use slightly over one box for this pan.  I made cupcakes with the leftover cake batter.  If I use a box mix it is always Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe.  I worked at a bakery years ago that made the best cakes.  I learned that they used Duncan Hines for all their cakes.  I tend to alter the recipe a bit though by adding a dollop of mayonnaise instead of using the recommended oil.

When turned out of the pan it looked like this.....

I trimmed just a teenie bit off the top of the bottom half and the bottom of the top half.  Confused?  I am!
Then I frosted it and added sprinkles........




The pan wasn't cheap but I will get my money's worth in no time.

No stitchy news today.  I went looked up how to make a magazine holder out of a box.  I found a tutorial using those flat rate boxes that are free at the post office.  I wonder if the postmaster will wonder why I don't return with it full of goodies to send off in the mail?  {{tee-hee}}   I want to use them to organize my charts and patterns that are presently strewn from one end of the house to the other.  Wish me luck!


Thanks for stopping by!

~~Peggy Lee

17 comments:

Berit said...

I agree that DH makes the best box mix. :)

I use the KNUFF Magazine Files from Ikea for my charts. They are sturdy enough to hold up to it and I like how they don't have any protrusions so that they can be butted up to each other flush.

I keep meaning to finish them somehow, but I do also like the way the raw wood looks in my white bookcase!

Berit said...

Oh, P.S. Here is the link!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50187340/

MoonBeam said...

Gosh, I didn't know what those pans were from the first pix! Very cute.

P.J. said...

Nice job on the cup cake, yummy. I think this would be perfect for the hubby's 40th birthday next year.

Robin said...

I was thinking the pix was some strange metal bra! Glad a read on to see what it really was. Looks like a neat cake pan to have.

Tina said...

Omg I love it! Just my size of cup cake! Priceless!

missy said...

Does that mean you get the entire cupcake to yourself? :)

hugs
-missy-

Deborah said...

That is the greatest cake! Love it.

Mouse said...

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo just love that cup cake .... not sure even a wee mouse could eat all that ..lol and I use magazine holders from Ikea and Wilkinsons for all my mags and charts ... see blog for organised book case heheheh :) love mouse xxx

Bekca said...

Wow, that cake looks so yummy! Hope you enjoyed it Peggy Lee, have fun sorting through all of your charts. Best wishes.

Charlene ♥ SC said...

Yes, the cutest! Thanks for the mix tip, too.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Peggy I'd love to know where you found that tutorial! blessings, marlene

Carol said...

Oh, how cute, Peggy!! Another item for my Christmas list--my sons will love this one, too :)

LoriU said...

The big cupcake is VERY cute!! Did you fill the pans half full with batter, or 2/3?

Catherine said...

Wow! That turned out great! I have to admit, had you not already told me about the pan, I would have thought it was some type of torture bra!

Mindi said...

Neato! I'm a sucker for different bundt pans with designs, but this is totally different. I love how your cake turned out.

Suzanne said...

Yum, what a great looking cake.

Now that's how they are made! My DD wanted me to make a giant cupcake for her birthday after she saw one in a shop and I had to say no because I had no idea how to make one. I will make that I look for it at the kitchen store next time I am about.