Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Samplers and Old Jars...

Good afternoon dear friends.  I'm in a good mood today.  Do I hear a "YAY"??  I finally had enough and went to see my doctor on Monday and it turns out I'm not going through menopause after all!  I'm NOT crazy....and oh gosh NO, I'm not pregnant either.  Anyway things are looking up.

Let's show the stitching first because after all this is a stitchy blog, isn't it?

Last post I told you about the sampler chart called "I Sew'd My Heart" Beth Twist is giving out to those who take a picture of wherever they may be with her blog page in it somewhere.  (See last post for linkypoo)  I went to work on it right away and finished it in just under a week.  I'm not a quick stitcher so this amazed even me......


I made a few small changes.  The heart and flowers are to be filled in with a slightly lighter color but I like them this way.  No wonder I got it done so fast, huh?  I woke up at 3am the morning after finishing this with the urge to stain it with tea.  So there I was in the dark squeezing tea bags over my finished sampler.  If Masterchief would have woke up and saw me he would have thought I was sleepwalking for sure!  

I also started another piece.  Yes, it's another sampler.  Did you expect anything else from me here at Kentucky Sampler?  Nancy was so kind to send me the chart for "My Ways" by La D Da.  Click HERE to see her blog.  Thank you so much Nancy!  If I had to choose my favorite designer I would have to say it's Lori Markovic with La D Da.  Every chart doesn't speak to me but so many of them do!  


Of course....AGAIN......I didn't have all the called for threads so I had to substitute all but one.  I had the recommended Black Crow by TGA Sampler Threads, which is what you see here.  I really don't have that many threads in my stash but I tried to choose colors that were as close as I could get to what Lori recommended.  I am stitching it on 40 count so it takes about 10 minutes after I start to stitch for my eyes to get adjusted.  The finished sampler should measure 4 5/8" x 6 1/4".  

Now to the Old Jars part of the post............

I'm afraid I have created a monster in Masterchief!  I brought home a couple old Ball canning jars one day a few years back and now he is the local authority on how old they are, what they are worth etc...   I try to use as many of them as I can for pasta, rice, beans, old scrabble letters, wooden nickels, dice.  You get the idea.  Here's the problem: There are too many **TOO MANY** to possibly use in this house!  I have blue jars everywhere.  They have taken over my bakers rack.....



Did ya notice how I sneaked a bit of my stitching in there?
I will admit I love these things but we really do need to come up with some other type of display tactics.  I need to share this last picture of Masterchief's very first "Bill" jar.  The a in Ball is buggered up and it looks like an i.  

Not sure if you can see it here.  It is now one of his most prized blue Ball jars.  

That's it for today friends.  Thanks so much for stopping by.  

~~Peggy Lee

15 comments:

Vonna said...

What lovely stitching going on ;)
I have blue ball jars everywhere...you now they are a Hoosier necessity being that Ball Company is in Muncie, IN :)

Sherry said...

Beautiful stitching and Beth always designs such lovely patterns. I love jars. Jars, bowls and so much more.

Stitchin' Sweet Sue said...

Lookin stitchy good there! Very nice jar display, well done. I do know what you mean about too many, here too...

Kaisievic said...

Oh, I checked out Beth Twist's blog - lovely.

Great post - really enjoyed reading it.
Hugs Kaye xoxox

Jules said...

There could be worse hobbies/obsessions! You have done a wonderful job displaying them.

And of course, your stitching is divine!!

Deborah said...

Love your finish! Just beautiful. The jars are looking good.

Myra said...

I love those old jars too. That sampler by Beth is adorable - you did a great job with it.

Mindi said...

Beautiful job on Beth's sampler, and a nice start on the La D Da one. I can't remember the last time I stitched a piece and used exactly what was called for, either because I wanted to use stuff from my stash, or because I just wanted different colors.

mainely stitching said...

There is something magical about old jars, isn't there? :)

Lovely stitching!

Jenny said...

I love the jar collection! It looks really neat and I love that you can actually store and organize things in them too. Very neat!

"I Sew'd My Heart is gorgeous and I am so impressed that you stitched it up so quickly. However, I am even more impressed that you are so brave - to tea stain your sample in the wee morning hours takes some guts! LOL
It does look perfect, so good job!

Catherine said...

Great stitches! I'm working on my "sew'd my heart" - I hope to be done soon!

Ooohhh......love all the jars! I have some too, but i'm always looking for more!

Yay on feeling better!!! So glad you talked with your doctor!

Blu said...

Gorgeous stitching!
And as far as collecting things, jars aren't too bad. At least they're useful.

Mouse said...

ooooo love the stitching :) had to laugh at the tea dying and Masterchief still snoozing through it ... way to go at the news from the Dr too :) and love those Jars :) take care and happy stitching :) love mouse xxxx

Sharon said...

Very pretty!

Suzanne said...

Such pretty stitching! Love the jar collection.