Thursday, August 18, 2011

Welcome to Tennessee!

It's a beautiful state (what I've seen of it so far) but holy cow!  When I got back from the grocery store I noticed two different taxes on my receipt.  One for 7.75% and the other for 9.25%.  I don't know what all that is for but it just seems like that's alot.  I'm sure I'm missing something there but so far I've only had my receipts to look at.

So far this week I have stitched a little and explored a lot.  I found a place to get my hair cut close to the hotel. It was VERY expensive.  At home I pay $12 (plus a tip) for a cut and here I paid $45 (plus a tip).  I had to fix my bangs when I got home too!

I slept so good the first night here but since then I haven't slept well at all.  For some reason I brought my OTC sleeping aid with me and I think tonight I will be taking it.

My laptop has finally given it up for the hotel internet and finished uploading all the updates so I can finally blog from it instead of using Masterchief's laptop.  Here is the pic I wanted to include with the last post.....


I found the plate at Pier One and had to have a wine glass while here at the hotel.  As for the M&M's, well that's just one of life's little necessities.

I have managed to fit in a few stitches during the day while Masterchief is at work.



It takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to load a picture up here at the hotel so that's it for now.  I think I need to take a nap.  I have been up since 3am.

I have so enjoyed reading your blogs and leaving comments.  I think I have left more comments in the last few days than I have in a long time.  It feels good!  A few of you have even gone so far as to reply to them.  I thank you so much for that.

I'm so glad you stopped by today.  Check back for continued progress on my stitching.  I think I'll be here for another week.

~~Peggy Lee

17 comments:

CalamityJr said...

Singing the Blues is looking great! (though I must admit I liked the way the other one was going, too... just sayin', lol) Taxes in Illinois are different based on what you're purchasing - one rate for OTC medications and similar items, one for restaurant food, which is higher than grocery food - I'm not sure how many variations we have, just in the state. Then you throw in city and county, and, in the case of a hotel, an additional entertainment or amusement tax... You'd have to be an accountant to figure it all out! My guess is your bill contained two types of purchases, and not that you were taxed twice for anything. Enjoy the rest of your stay!

April Mechelle said...

I am with CalamityJr on the taxes. But if You are staying in Brentwood, That is the Ritz part of Nashville..lol I love Singing The Blues!! Looking Great !!

jennifer gail said...

Welcome to Tennessee my friend:)

Kaisievic said...

Hi Peggy Lee, DH and I are going to visit friends in Nashvlile next year - so excited to be finally visiting U.S. from OZ, I will keep an eye out for the tax isssu. Your stitching is looking lovely. Enjoy your stay.
love K xoxox

Catherine said...

Whoo-hoo!! Wine, chocolate and some pretty stitchin'!!

If things in TN are still the same when I lived there, there is no income tax, but there is sales tax on everything. As you know, here in PA, we don't pay sales tax on groceries or clothing. Some of the items you purchased were probably just taxed at different rate.

Enjoy your beverage and your treats!!

Mouse said...

oooooo love that stitching ... gorgeous colour there and wine and chocolate brill combination :) love mouse xxxx

Stitchin' Sweet Sue said...

Hey Doll, looks like all is well in TN, enjoy your goodies, stitchin included. Saw an old blue glass medicine bottle today, thought of you both:)

Vonna said...

Your stitching is gorgeous...so CLOSE! :)

Gabi said...

Singing the Blues looks great. Love it.

Deborah said...

Singing the Blues is coming along nicely! What's with all the taxes. It's crazy.

pam said...

Tenn is a great state. I glad you are having a blast there. Wonderful stitching progress.

Nancy said...

Different tax rates for different types of purchases, say food items and non-food items. Your stitching is beautiful as always! Love your choice of snacks!!

Littlebit said...

Your stitching is beautiful. Love that color. Enjoy your stay in Tennessee..I would be holed up in that hotel room stitching and chowing down on those M&Ms! :)

dixiesamplar said...

Lovely WIP...good luck with this one, hope it fares better than the first attempt, LOL!

Tennessee is lovely...there is a wonderful LNS in Pigeon Forge called Dixie Darlins; don't know if it's close to you though.

Finally got my blog back up and running...be sure to stop by and enter the giveway to celebrate!

Happy Stitchin'
Terri
www.dixiesamplar.blogspot.com

Jane said...

Hi Peggy Lee,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice comment. I'm glad you you liked the embroidery hoop container project I posted and I am very flattered that you included it on your blog!! It's a super simple project so I hope you give it a try.
Your stitching is really beautiful, I like the bluebird one you are working on.
Have a wonderful week.
Jane

Jeanne said...

Your project looks great Peggy! I'm not going to even mention what I spend on my hair...cuts and hair color ain't cheap here in Scottsdale that's for sure! I tell my hubby that as long as I'm working I need to cover up that gray LOL.

Bekca said...

Your stitching looks great, I'm sure you'll get it finished this time. I hope you've had fun exploring your new surroundings and enjoying M&Ms! Best wishes my friend.