Saturday, January 29, 2011

R.I.P. Chilly

Sing it with me....."You'll be back again some day".
Poor Chilly didn't last long.  I made him on Wednesday and by Friday morning he was lying in a heap.  It's hard to believe we had so much snow and it's all gone already.  That's what I like about living in KY.  We still get snow but it doesn't usually hang around.

Look what arrived in the mail yesterday....
I collect wooden nickels so when we saw these on e-bay I just had to have them!  They must have come from someone who was also a collector because they come from several different states.

My ABCD by La D Da has been put on the back burner for now.  I messed it up!  I was stitching right along and when I got to Z it didn't quite fit like the chart said it should.  I knew I was off a little bit but I thought I could make it work.  I will still finish it but for now it's going in my basket.  As soon as I realized it might be beyond fixing (for now) I got the other half of the fabric I had used for it and started another one.  This time I didn't stain the fabric and I'm using Splendor black silk.  At first I wasn't impressed by the silk at all.  I've never used this brand of silk before.  It pulled apart like bad taffy but then I remembered some stuff I picked up called Thread Heaven, thread conditioner and protectant.  I'll admit I have always been against running my thread through or over anything because I thought it would effect the piece through the years but I was desperate to give this a try...and I AM SO GLAD I DID!!  It made all the difference....
See how my Z's look different?  The one on the bottom is correct.  Sorry for the bad picture though.  I couldn't seem to escape my own shadow this morning.
This time around I instead of stitching the entire border first I started in the center at the letter O.

Laymie sent me a picture of little Liam yesterday morning.  I can't wait to squeeze him!
I just love that look on his face.  I want to kiss his little cheeks like a grandma should!

As I was blog stalking the other day I ran across a blog that posted a recipe for sourdough starter.  My mother called it "Herman" when I was a kid.  I've been wanting to try it but I need to be sure I understand how to do it before I dive right in.  I've looked at a few different recipes for it and now I'm all confused.  Do I leave it out on the counter for 3 days or 5?  When I take the cup of starter out do I need to use it right away or can I refrigerate it and use it the next day?  So many questions about it still.  Does anybody have a recipe for "Sourdough Starter For Dummies"?

That's it for today.  Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments.  I love to read them all!

~~Peggy Lee


17 comments:

Catherine said...

I do wish my snow would melt!! Looks like we are in for more next week - ugh!

Now that's a pile of nickels! It must be fun to look through them all. Will they be going into a Ball Jar?

Don't you just hate when you can make a pattern work, but it still doesn't sit well with you! I'm lovin' the black silk look!

What a sweet picture of Liam - I can just imagine him thinking, "Hey Grandma - you got any milk to go with those cookies?" Laymie better remember to pack lotion for his cheeks - I have a feeling you'll be kissing them a lot when they visit!

Carol said...

I sure wish our snow would go away--I don't think we've seen the grass more than a few days since Thanksgiving!

Sorry your first attempt at stitching your ABCs didn't work out, Peggy!! But, good to know you're willing to try, try again--it will be worth it. And thanks for the tip on the Thread Heaven, too...

As I've said before, I never get tired of seeing photos of little Liam, the sweetie pie :)

Sharlotte said...

I have always heard of wooden nickles and had never seen them . How fun!

Love the stitching. I have been a huge fan of Thread Heaven for about 12 years now. My local quilt shop turned me on to it for handquilting and I use it now for cross stitching as well.

That little Liam is going to be so spoiled when he leaves your house . Gosh he's a cutie!

My Sour Dough Starter recipe says to leave it out on the counter two to fours days, noting that that the longer you leave it out , the stronger the taste will be. So I would say , it will depend on what flavor you are wanting to achieve as to how long you leave it out. Good luck with it!

~ Stitchin Sweet Sue ~ said...

Sorry bout your ABCD, but your new start is beautiful too. Stuff like that makes me wanna rip my head off! Thread Heaven is divine {even for DMC}. Purists will pooh-pooh it, but it has made the difference whether I complete a project or not, definitely stitch worthy.

Sylvia said...

OH, your snowman was so cute. So sorry about your ABC - its such a great little sampler. I am glad you are staring over though. Your grandbaby is so preciousl

Vonna said...

Poor Chilly...
and look at all those nickles! WOWZERS :)
your grandson...what a cutie!
Love that LA-D-DA...gorgeous!

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

I think the look on little Liam's face is enough for every grandma to want to kiss. Priceless if you ask me...
Be always in stitches.

Blu said...

Sorry to hear that the first ABCD attempt didn't work out. But kudos on starting it up again. If that'd been me it'd be tossed in a corner.
So what are/were wooden nickels for? I've never even heard of them!

Teresa S. said...

Maybe leaving the border until last will make it easier to cover up any counting boo-boo's? Liam is a sweetie!

Deborah said...

The picture of Chilly is just sad! I think our 60 inches will be around for awhile. Liam is such a cutie. What does onedo with wooden nickels?

Justflo said...

Shame about Chilly. You'll be able to make Chilly 2 next time though. Ooops abput your 'Z'.

Liam looks a real sweetie.



wizzybuff

Daffycat said...

Poor Chilly...no refrigerated boxcar to send him to the North Pole?

Those are the most kissable cheeks I have ever seen. OMG Liam is growing fast!

LOL That is a LOT of wooden nickles!

Mary said...

Oh if only our snow in Boston could go away so quickly. I know it might sound weird but I actually like the Z you made first. It seems to go well with the wave that goes through the alphabet. I'm not sure what the rest of the design is so I don't know if you would have been able to fit the rest of the design in. I have made booboos like that before. I like to say that I added a bit of me to the design...lol. Liam is a cutie!
At first I thought the wooden nickels were pogs from the old milk bottles...lol. It's cool you were able to buy a whole bunch of wooden nickels like that.
Hugs!
Mary

Beth said...

Liam is a doll baby!! Chilly was cute, but as the song says, he will be back.

Your ABC's both looked great to me.

Berit said...

I've got a good blog-friend who is all about baking and was just talking about starters the other day:

http://sweethomesteadalabama.blogspot.com/2011/01/happy-starter.html

HTH. :)

Dani - tkdchick said...

Sorry to hear you had to start your WIP over but it looks like its not going to take you long to catch up!

Natalia said...

Oh no !! So sorry you had to start ABCD again !! We all learn the hard way, don't we. I've done the same before.... work on the border first only to find out that the rest didn't fit it it !! LOL.