Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Ready for the New Year

I think it's been a little bit since I've blogged last.  I have enjoyed looking through all of your blogs though!
Do you make New Year's resolutions?  I suppose I have said a few out loud when I was younger but I think as I've grown older I know I usually don't stick to them.  I think the most popular one ever made is to lose weight.  Well I would be happy to just maintain.  Anyone who has lost alot of weight can tell you it's maintaining the weight loss, NOT the actual losing of it that is the most difficult.  The most weight I have ever lost in one effort was 86 pounds.  Right now I am about ten pounds more than I want to be.  My jeans don't fit right and I just don't "feel" good...ya know?  I remember when I was 16 years old I weighed 185.  I am currently 30 to 35 pounds lower than that.  Can you imagine weighing LESS than you did when you were 16?   Well I guess I was just a big girl, huh?

As you know I didn't do alot of decorating for Christmas.  I did finally drag the tree out of the back room and put a handful of ornaments on it but I didn't do as much as I have in years past.  I am ready to get my house back in order.  We bought a new pre-lit Christmas tree at Lowe's this year and it will stay in the box until next Christmas.  The one that is up now will be donated to Goodwill.

The week before Christmas I was browsing through a store I had never been in before.  Just a little local shop.  Sometimes those are the BEST kind!  I saw this wooden sign and immediately KNEW that I needed it.  I usually don't buy this sort of thing.  Probably because they seem to be all the rage right now and I like to be different.  Today, you can find a sign like this that says just about anything.  Since I have hung my "Thank You For Serving's" on the wall above the TV (or TeeVee as Spinster Stitcher puts it...don't you just love her?)....I knew this would fit perfectly......
The two TYFS pieces are on either side of this.

Our dear friend and neighbor joined us for dinner a couple days before Christmas and we had a great time eating and exchanging gifts.  She gave Masterchief this NAVY snuggie....
We didn't know they made such a thing but lookie here!  I must admit that I have borrowed it twice to take a little snooze on the couch.  He was very touched that she special ordered such a personal gift.  Be sure to always remember one's service to our country.  It means more than you might realize.

Remember when I stitched Flower Urn by Homespun Elegance?  I received it in the mail all framed up last week.....
I really like the frame.  We hung it on the wall right away......


YES....the E block is finished!
......and YES, I did make mistakes in this block too, as I have in almost every block before it.  The mistakes in this one though weren't quite as hard to work around as the dreaded D block.  Oh how that one gave me fits!  I though it would be difficult to fully appreciate the size of this piece with the picture up above so I placed an old yard stick across it for the next picture.....
Now that I have the E block done I need to put this away for a bit and get busy on my grandson's sampler.  I am using this same pattern to spell out his name, "LIAM".  Thank God they named him something with only four letters!  Along the bottom I will put his full name, weight and date he was born.  What do you think of this idea?  I looked through several birth samplers but one didn't jump out at me.  And speaking of my sweet little bundle of cuteness....here's one of the latest pictures I received from his Momma.....

This was taken Christmas morning.  Of course he is not able to sit up on his own at approximately seven weeks old but this little seat he is in supports him just fine doesn't it?  In fact I wish they made them in adult size.  Looks like something I could sink right in to and stitch up a storm!  His Momma also sent me a MOST ADORABLE picture of him in a towel but I can't figure out how to save pictures sent through a text message. As soon as I do I will post it here.   It's just too cute not to share!  I realize I might be a bit biased but I don't care...he's the cutest baby I've ever seen next to my own little bundle of chubby sweetness....yes I know he is 24 now.  :o)

That about does it for today's post.  I have enjoyed all of your posts so very much this past week.  You will have to excuse me at times.....I get the "blues" during the winter time.  Sometimes I am able to shake it but when it hits me I'm in the dumps big time!  On top of that I think I am in the very beginning of the dreaded ***menopause***.  I find myself in a sauna of sorts at times, and other times I could cry at the drop of a hat! The combination of the winter blues and this new thing has really sent me for a loop.  Masterchief has been so understanding and I've really noticed him being extra patient with me (except when he's hungry).  OH....I just heard him start his truck.  That means he's done putting the insulation up in the garage attic and I need to go heat him up some lunch.  Must keep him fed, ya know!   I went in to town this morning and when I came back all I saw was feet dangling down from the garage ceiling.  Seems the ladder had fallen and he was stranded up there until I got home.  He was up there for close to an hour before I got home.  Poor thing!  I better go feed my man.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas filled with memories to last a lifetime!
Thank you for all your heartfelt comments.  I DO appreciate EVERY ONE!!

If I'm not back here before the new year.....HAPPY NEW YEAR to each of you!!!
Do you make resolutions?

~~Peggy Lee

17 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh Peggy Lee, I love how the Flower Urn turned out! I've had that in my stash for quite a few years and after seeing yours I know I really must get stitching on it. In fact, I believe I picked it to stitch as part of the 2011 Crazy January Challenge.

Thank you so much for the inspiration!

Berit said...

Winter Blues sure are tough! :/

That big alphabet sure is pretty--(I can't see any mistakes!)

I think if you put his birth particulars in you should work them into one of the blocks. Because this is not a particularly babyish alphabet, it can hang throughout his childhood. So, tuck them in where they can only be seen if studied would be my suggestion.

I think this will make a really nice birth sampler--very creative of you to think of it!

Teri said...

Hi Peg,
OMG! your grandbaby is soooooo cute!!! And if you find those chairs in adult size ... I'll take one. They look like they would be great to stitch in.LoL!
Your finished piece is just beautiful!
Have a Happy New Year.
Teri♥♥♥

Faye said...

Now you know we dont have to admit if there are mistakes on our stitching!! So, stop beating yourself up!!!!! And about the Tee-Vee and Spinster Stitcher....My family now knows that if I am sitting at my laptop hooting, they just calmly say, "She must be reading something the lady with the cool dog has written...!" And, you know what, they are usually right:!! Love SS writing.....

Your framed work is beautiful especially perched up on the wonderful wall of samplers...love it!

Take good care my friend and Happy New Year!

Faye

Catherine said...

Your stitches look wonderful - stop saying mistakes and embrace them as your own interpretations! I love the frame you chose for the Flower Urn and it looks great on your wall!

Winter blues are not any fun! Hang in there, keep busy and spring will be here before we know it!

Liam sure is handsome!

Jan said...

Peggy, first of all, please don't let those blues get you down...with the way time has been moving so quickly, winter will be behind you before you know it!!

What an adorable baby boy, and you are right that seat needs to be marketed in adult size! Preferably one that will hold all of my back-end!!:0)

Love how your Flower Urn turned out and it looks so very lovely on your wall.

Take care of yourself and masterchief!!

xeyedmary said...

Peggy- your Flower Urn is gorgeous!
As far as the picture in a text message- I know I can email photos from my regular, non-smart cell phone to any of my email addresses. Instead of sending the new message to a phone contact, type in your email address, then attach the photo, which hopefully you have saved to your gallery of photos on your phone. That way you can save it to your computer. The message might show up in your inbox as "From: your cell phone #".
I think your birth sampler idea is perfect! What a little cutie pie! Next Christmas he'll be playing with all the boxes!
What an awesome husband- I'm jealous! Hopefully he was warm up there in the insulation! Happy New Year!

Maggee said...

That grandson is Adorable! 7 weeks already! I can't believe my latest granddaughter is going to be one January 8th! She started walking about two weeks ago, and hasn't stopped! The only resolutions I make are stitching ones, and this year I am joining a new blog to try and keep on task. I did well this year, with ONE of the few blogs I joined! It was a Christmas SAL, and I finished my piece in September! It is framed and hanging right now! That snuggie for MC is too cute! When you are feeling down, just start reading stitching blogs! They are so inspirational! Happy New Year to you and yours! Hugs.

Carol said...

Oh, that little Liam is just too cute! I'll bet you wish you lived a bit closer, don't you, Peggy? I really like your idea of using those blocks for his birth sampler--so many of the birth samplers are just too "cutesy", but this will be a real heirloom.

Hang in there with the winter blues--exercise does wonders :) Love your newest framed addition to your sampler wall--gorgeous frame.

Happy New Year to you and your family!

April Mechelle said...

I love your wall with framed stitching! The little fellow is so cute !! Hope you have a great New years !!

Vonna said...

First off Peggy your grandbaby is just gorgeous! A real dolly in his bumbo seat :)
And I'll have to admit, I laughed right out loud when I saw Master Chef in his Navy Snuggie...My husband teases me all the time that's going to buy me one, and he would if he knew I wouldn't tramp to the grocery in it :) Seeing Master Chef enjoying a cuppa joe in his made my day!!! What a thoughtful gift from your beloved neighbor!

Carol said...

Happy New Year Peggy! I do not make new year resolutions either because I do not keep them. I do set crafty goals for the coming year but I don't stress over them.

Natalia said...

Peggy, I didn't know you were a Navy gal. I love the Navy Snuggie and maybe I should get one for my husband !! LOL
Your grandbaby is just adorable !!! I can hear grandma's pride in your notes... :-)
Your framed work is beautiful and I love your wall. Thanks for showing it to us.
Hey, I totally here you on maintaining the weight. Yikes !!! It is the hardest thing to do... The cycle starts next week for me again. I also need to loose about 10 pounds of Christmas eating and next week it is !!!
Happy New Year !!

StitchinByTheLake said...

Winter makes me blue as well...I need sunshine! But rest assured, menopause does go away after a while - but until then it's so annoying! blessings, marlene

Siobhan said...

I get the seasonal blues, too. I understand, believe me!!

Your grandson is SOOOO adorable!! Too cute. Beautiful stitching pics, too. I will have to show the Navy snuggie pic to my daughters. My younger daughter asked for a snuggie last Christmas & we all laughed... this year, my older daughter bought herself an animal print snuggie!! LOL My daughter said she took her snuggie to school for a movie day right before Christmas and a bunch of her friends put them on their Christmas lists.

Wishing you and yours a blessed, happy & healthy new year.

Laymie said...

That is the cutest baby I've ever seen =) Haha.

Bekca said...

It's the mistakes that make the project personal :) keep up the excellent work on the sampler, it'll be worth it in the end. Little Liam is certainly a cutie and I think that's a great idea for a birth sampler. My resolution this year is very simple; work hard to get good grades, then I can go to Uni! I hope you had a lovely New Year and I look forward to reading all of your 2011 posts. Best wishes.