Friday, November 19, 2010

Goodbye New Jersey!

I spent this last week making contaminated areas clean enough to walk in without wearing all this stuff.  I was doing just fine until I was deconning an area that was also a high radiation area.  I leaned over a "hot" pipe and it made my electronic dosimeter (that little thing you see in my pocket) scream and flash.  No worries.  Lesson learned: wipe components off with a l-o-n-g arm.

Today was our last day and I was never so glad to be laid-off from a job in all my life!  Hope Creek Nuclear Generating Station shuts down for a refueling outage every 18 months....I'll be there.

I have most of the things here in the hotel room packed up and Masterchief has put quite a few things in the car.  Tomorrow morning we head up to PA for a few days to visit our new grand baby and then we are homeward bound.  I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to being home.  We both have found a new appreciation for the little things, like.......

  • appliances that don't require quarters to operate
  • more than just ONE ROOM to live in
  • no alarm clock screaming at us in the morning
  • my own personal toilet seat
  • a bathtub that I feel comfortable lowering myself in to
and most of all......

  • having all my stitchy stash surrounding me


I have occasionally browsed through a couple blogs here and there over these past two months but haven't really had a chance to comment.  When I get home I will be able to read all of our blogs and even have time to comment!

Here's another one of me at work.  I don't think we are really allowed to take our cell phones/cameras in to the RCA (Radioactive Controlled Area) and it really is a dumb idea in the first place because it could become contaminated and I could lose it.  Luckily I still have it.

We will be home just in time for Thanksgiving next week.  I probably won't be blogging again before then so I want to wish you an early joyous and yummy Thanksgiving!  We have so much to be thankful for....especially the little things that we can so easily take for granted.

OH....I wanted to ask....
how many of you go shopping on black Friday?  If you don't shop, what do you do?
Personally I make a special effort NOT to go out on that day.  It's crazy out there!!
Take care of yourselves and until I am able once again.......cross an X for me.
~~Peggy Lee

10 comments:

Parsley said...

Wow girl...crazy job you have there.

Nope...I don't go shopping on black Friday. The crowds are just so crazy wild I would rather not deal with it. Not much I 'need' anyway.

~ Stitchin Sweet Sue ~ said...

Like the stop sign says ~ hope you had your briefs on ~ lol! Have a great visit with the new little one and a wonderful Thanksgiving. We've missed you dearie:) xoxo

Kathy said...

I hope you have a wonderful visit with the grandbaby. And I understand why you cna't wait to be home. :) Whew. Glad you made it through that job okay.

I have done the Black Friday, 4 am shopping thing many times and LOVED it! It has been a long time since then though. But this year I will be at a dog show! Quite a change from shopping. :)

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

jayne@~an eye for threads~ said...

Well it will be nice to have you back in the land of home, stitching, and blogging. Do enjoy your grandbaby and then the trip home. We don't have Black Friday up here but even if we did I really would rather stay home with family, friends and take advantage of some extra stitch time.
Be always in stitches.

natalyK said...

Like you, I avoid Black Friday like the plague. I usually use the day to recover from Thanksgiving and catch up on Stitching!

Daffycat said...

Black Friday? Oh. God. No. I never go shopping then. The crowds make me seriously nervous and I just end up frustrated and angry. Heck, I won't even go to see a popular new movie until it's been out long enough to grant me an uncrowded theatre!

Bekca said...

I hope you have a wonderful time visiting your new grandson, and then soon after you will feel all the comforts of home once more. It'll be good to have you back :) Best wishes.

Jennifer said...

Hope you have a safe trip home and I know you will be soooooo happy to be there!

Pics of you bring back memories of my husband's job in Waynesboro years and years ago at Southern Nuclear. He worked in the security dept.

I hope you have a great, great Thanksgiving and will talk later....

Jennifer
Feathers in the Nest

Catherine said...

Whoo-hoo!! Hope you are enjoying or have enjoyed your visit with your new grandson!! Wishing you a safe journey home and a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Diane said...

Have a safe trip home and a wonderful visit with your son and his growing family, and may your Thanksgiving be blessed.

I've done Black Friday once, years ago, back when the Toys R Us opened at the now sane-seeming 7:00 AM. My kids have gone/will go, my daughter with her friend(s) and my son with his dad, while I stay in bed and recover from the whole day of cooking the day before. I have been known to go for some internet deals that day, but I like to stay in the comfort of my own nest! This year, no shopping at all will be done, as the whole package of both kids' December birthdays, Christmas, and my March birhtday have been wrapped up in a Disney cruise to the Mexican Riviera in January. Can't wait for that!